Date:      Thu, 06 May 1999 11:34:13 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Panic while building world

I had a similar thing happen with make installworld.

I went into single user mode, did make installworld, and then left the
computer for a few hours until it was done (this was a month or two ago
when make installworld took a long time).

When I came back, the machine had rebooted very much like the error
below.  However, make installworld had finished.

This happened to me twice.  I never bothered with it, as it did not
adversely affect me.

I was not connected to the internet in any way (is the computer connected in
single user mode anyway?) as I use a dial up connection, and it was not on.

Well, now I have DDB switched on.  Next time it happens I'll get more
details.

Benjamin Gavin wrote:

> Hi all,
>   Just thought I would add a little something to this discussion about
> rebooting.  I have had a machine that has consistently rebooted itself in
> the midst of building world.  It doesn't happen when I am running X (say I
> leave it on overnight with a locked screen-saver), but only when there is
> really nothing else major running.  It happens nearly every time, the only
> way I can get the buildworld to finish properly is to leave X running :(.
> I finally got sick of it, and seeing as the buzz on the list is to get some
> useful? information, I compiled the kernel with the DDB option and got a
> listing of the stack trace.  I have included it below.  There was also
> mention of getting a dump (how do I do this??).  The computer is running
> 3.1-STABLE (CVSup ~4/22/99).  My hardware is listed below:
>
> Pentium 166MMX - Intel 430VX Based Motherboard (Biostar I think)
> 96 MB RAM
> IDE Drives (2 HD, 1 CDROM)
> SMC EZ Card 10 ISA Ethernet (no appreciable network activity at the time)
> Creative Vibra16X Soundcard
> Generic Rockwell-based 33.6 Modem (Internal)
> Matrox Mystique 220 Video
>
>   This machine in behind a firewall, so there is no danger of this having
> been part of the "remote reboot" saga.  The stack trace is below:

> fault virtual address  = 0xffff037f
> fault code = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer = 0x8:0xffff037f
> stack pointer = 0x10:0xc6848e28
> frame pointer = 0x10:0xc6848e9c
> code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                      = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
> current process = 36124 (cpp)
> interrupt mask =
> kernel: type 12 trap, code = 0
> stopped at -0xfc81:

> fault virtual address  = 0xffff037f
> fault code = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer = 0x8:0xc01ad7d0
> stack pointer = 0x10:0xc6848ca0
> frame pointer = 0x10:0xc6848ca4
> code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                      = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
> current process = 36124 (cpp)
> interrupt mask =
> kernel: type 12 trap, code = 0
>
>   Is there anything else that would be useful.  You'll have to help me out,
> I am not sure what else to do.
>
> Thanks,
> Ben Gavin
>
> /--------------------------------------------------------------------------/