Date:      Thu, 05 Jun 2008 01:39:45 +0300
From:      Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net>
To:        Andrew Snow <andrew@modulus.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cpufreq broken on core2duo

Andrew Snow wrote:
> Evren Yurtesen wrote:
>
>> When you say that it doesnt work, does it give an error or? In my case
>> it doesnt give any errors just says it set it but I see that nothing
>> is set.
>
> Here's one box:
>
> CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU  E8500  @ 3.16GHz
> cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
> est0: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu0
> est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized.
> est: cpu_vendor GenuineIntel, msr 61a49200600091a
> device_attach: est0 attach returned 6
> p4tcc0: <CPU Frequency Thermal Control> on cpu0
>

> Here's another one:
> CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU  E5410  @ 2.33GHz
> cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
> est0: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu0
> est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized.
> est: cpu_vendor GenuineIntel, msr 720072006000720
> device_attach: est0 attach returned 6
> p4tcc0: <CPU Frequency Thermal Control> on cpu0
>

> SYSCTLs On the first one:
> dev.cpu.0.freq: 2786
> dev.cpu.0.freq_levels: 2786/-1 2437/-1 2089/-1 1741/-1 1393/-1 1044/-1
> 696/-1 348/-1
>
> Attempting to change dev.cpu.0.freq has no effect and says:
> sysctl: dev.cpu.0.freq: Invalid argument

In one of the boxes I have there is an option in the bios where I can enable
Intel Enhanced SpeedStep Technology. If I enable this to disabled in the bios
then I get the same results as you are seeing. If I enable this in the bios then
I get no errors but the processor speed doesnt change according to chkfreq from
acpi_ppc http://www.spa.is.uec.ac.jp/~nfukuda/software/
Did you check the bios for this option?
Another thing is that when I enable it from bios the cpufreq finds the processor
to be 1500mhz (3000mhz in reality).

You said you have an Athlon X2 box. Did you download
http://www.spa.is.uec.ac.jp/~nfukuda/software/ and tried the chkfreq program
which comes out with it to see if powerd is actually working? Because all I know
is that you might be thinking that it is working but it might not be working at
all. (I think acpi_ppc doesnt support dual core processors but chkfreq should
give reliable results)

Thanks,
Evren