Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 2003 20:53:23 +0100
From:      "colin" <colin@j0o.com>
To:        <freebsd-i386@freebsd.org>
Subject:   freebsd 5.0, a switch, and its utter refusal to connect to the internet. help!

Hi all

this is my first post to this mailing list, so please forgive me if this has
been covered but I am in desperate need of help.

For the past month or so I've been connecting my freebsd 5.0 computer to the
internet via ICS on my windows 2000 computer.  This all worked very
smoothly, albeit a pain in the neck.

This morning I bought a cheap ethernet switch, which I thought would make
things a sight more easy.  I plugged it in and connected up all my cables.
My w2k box connected immediately, with no problem.  My bsd however, did not.

On the advice of my friend, I edited the rc.conf file and made some changes.
This is now what it looks like:-

hostname="colin"
network_interfaces="rl0 lo0"
ifconfig_rl0="inet 192.168.100.2 netmask 255.255.255.0"
ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="82.40.64.1"
gateway_enable="YES"
inetd_enable="YES"
kern_securelevel_enable="NO"
linux_enable="YES"
sendmail_enable="NO"
sshd_enable="YES"

82.40.64.1 is my default gateway as defined in w2k ipconfig /all.  I had
previously tried 192.168.100.1 as it's the internal IP of my modem.  That
didn't work either.

This is a readout of ifconfig:-

rl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	inet 192.168.100.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.100.255
	inet6 fe80::2e0::4cff::feec::f81a%rl0 pref ixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
	ether 00:e0:4c:ec:f8:1a
	status: active
lp0: flags=8810<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
	inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
	inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3

My switch shows that the box is connected at the proper speed, is receiving
and sending packets.  However when I try to do anything on it that relates
to the outside world, it fails.  Pings say "no route to host" or "failed
hostname lookup" so I edited the resolv.conf and put in my ISP's
nameservers, and STILL got the same thing!

The LAN card is fine, the cables are fine and of the correct type, and the
switch itself is in perfect working order.

I have been struggling with this for the past 14 hours.  Everything my
friend and I have tried has failed without exeption.

I am truly sorry for the length of this, but I tried to include as much info
as I can so as to give a clear description of my problem.  If anyone can
help me out with this, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Colin