Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 2003 11:16:52 -0800
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xhost command problem

--L6iaP+gRLNZHKoI4

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 01:05:45PM -0500, David Banning wrote:
>=20
> I am trying to run an xterm remotely (over the web).
>=20
> I understand the IP address must be entered using the xhost command.
>=20
> My problem is that the xhost command wants X running on the main terminal,
> but main terminal is using an ascii screen only.
> The xhost command gives an error stating that the command
> must be run from X on the main terminal.
>=20
> Is there another way I can maybe bypass the xhost command and
> register the IP address in the same place that xhost does?

What is the exact error you are getting?  If you are working from a
console, make sure that your DISPLAY environment variable is set, and
that you export it.

Assuming X is running on display 0 try (and that you are using bash):
# export DISPLAY=3D:0
# xhost +the.ip.address.or.hostname

Nathan

--=20
GPG Public Key ID: 0x4250A04C
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 4250A04C
http://63.105.21.156/gpg_nkinkade_4250A04C.asc

--L6iaP+gRLNZHKoI4

--L6iaP+gRLNZHKoI4--