Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:32:40 +0100
From:      Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
To:        Robert Slade <bsd@bathnetworks.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org" <freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: type 5 kbd/mouse woes

On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 07:30:01PM +0000, Robert Slade wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 19:11, mdh lists wrote:
> >
> > sysmouse is created by running moused.  moused
> > provides the /dev/sysmouse utility.  To activate
> > moused for a Sun type5 setup, you'll almost certainly
> > want the command `moused -t mousesystems -p
> > /dev/cuau3`.  This will allow you to have Xorg access
> > the mouse via /dev/sysmouse, as well as providing
> > mouse functionality on a syscons console.  So yes, the
> > mouse does in fact work on the console with FreeBSD
> > 6.0 on sparc64. :-)
> >
> > The LED problem is a known issue, and I have a GNATS
> > ticket open on it, you can check out the FreeBSD bug
> > tracking system and see if you maybe have anything to
> > add to the information I've already provided in that
> > ticket to assist the kernel dev folks in identifying
> > and addressing the lock key LED problem. However, as
> > all the toggles still work just fine, I marked the
> > ticket as non-critical.
> >

> Many thanks - I was trying to figure the mouse out. Is it possible to
> change the console keyboard layout to gb rather than us?

For the Xorg-server it should work but so far not for the
console and the TTYs. Both the LED issue and the fact that
the same problem - endian bugs in the keyboard IOCTLs. Fixing
them however currently is low priority for me as it would
open can of worms as it also means fixing the Xorg-server to
actually send the right LED codes for Sun RS232 keyboards,
importing keyboard maps for Sun RS232 keyboards and getting
rid of the assumption that every keyboard is PS/2 compatible
in kbdmux(4)...

> I've actually
> got a type6 kb and remembering which keys do what is a real pain.

And non-US keyboard layouts are a PITA for most programming
and scripting languages, who does need stuff like accent-signs,
currency-symbols and umlauts anyway? :)

Marius

--
This mail was scanned by AntiVir Milter.
This product is licensed for non-commercial use.