Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 19:49:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Jenkins <mjenkins@carp.gbr.epa.gov>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        mm@i.cz, wes@softweyr.com
Subject:   Re: switch vs bridge (fwd)

Wes Peters wrote:
> The you either don't understand the job, or don't understand the (very
> limited) capabilities of these so-called layer 4 switches.  It's not that
> it's a bad idea, just that there are a couple of vendors out there giving
> the idea a bad name with their implementations.

I think the concept of switching based on udp/tcp port is useful.
One thing I'm not clear on is at what layer is the switch gathering
the packets?  Is it at the data link (Ethernet) layer or the network
layer (IP)?  I was assuming the data link layer to allow transparency.
If it is the network layer then the switch is your router as Wes said.
Do layer 3 switches have the ability to redirect packets based on
udp/tcp port numbers?

Mike