Date:      Sun, 18 Jan 1998 20:05:31 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Victor Sudakov <vas@vas.tsu.tomsk.su>
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: iijppp + slirp

> Doug White wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> >
> > > Could you please help me make iijppp work with SLiRP on the server side?
> >
> > How is SLiRP called?  You aren't running it in your dialup script..
>
> It is started automatically after logging in into the server. I think, the
> login shell is set to slirp.
>

> > > I start ppp as 'ppp -auto phantom'. It logs in but is never up, and the
> > > default route is not changed. The /var/log/ppp.log grows though :-) It works
> > > fine with the non-slirp provider BTW (the other entry called mpeks).
> >
> > Did you look in the ppp.log to find out just why it won't connect?  You
> > can post the relevant section(s) if you want us to decode it.  Post a
> > sample attempted connect to phantom.
>
> Sorry for the very long log.
>
> ======= cut here =========
[.....]
> Jan 15 01:47:02 vas ppp[6649]: tun0: LCP: Magic is same (6a212a75) - 1 times
> Jan 15 01:47:03 vas ppp[6649]: tun0: LCP: SendConfigNak(Req-Sent)
> Jan 15 01:47:03 vas ppp[6649]: tun0: LCP:  MAGICNUM[6] 0x6a212a75
[.....]
> ======= cut here =========
>
> I would appreciate any input.

There's a bit in the FAQ (http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/userppp.html).
Remove the "set openmode active".  If the peer never bothers to say
anything, drop me a line.  It's possible that there are some really
brain-dead ISPs out there that can't switch off ECHO on the line
quick enough to avoid confusing their ppp implementation with the
resulting flurry of REQ/NAKs for the magic number, and *also* can't
initiate LCP negotiations.... Once someone gives me an excuse, I'll
introduce a configurable delay :-)

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;