Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2023 22:06:51 +0100
From:      void <void@f-m.fm>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Expected native build times on an RPI4?

On Mon, Apr 03, 2023 at 09:42:14PM +0100, Joseph Koshy wrote:

>I'm wondering how best to provision for building -current:
>how long does 'buildworld' take on this device usually, and
>how much disk space does a build of -current usually need?

It depends. My build times are way less than yours. Not measured
recently, but it's no more than 6 hrs IIRC. But to do that, several
adjustments need to be made:

1. unless you need it, you'll need to turn off debugging, which is
by default *on* in -current. [a]

2. get good cooling and clock the cpu. Mine is clocked to 2.1GHz.

3. use ccache

4. build WITH_META_MODE=YES

5. use either a hard disk or ssd connected via usb3. Don't build on
a usb3 key and expect it to be quick.

6. in your /etc/src.conf, disable the stuff you don't need so that it
doesn't waste time getting built. Set MALLOC_PRODUCTION=

[a] this means compiling GENERIC-NODEBUG

The full reduction in buildtime would be seen after a buildworld
cycle in the new environment. /usr/obj on my -current rpi4 system is 3.2GB.
It will be probably twice that size if building with debugging.

good luck,