Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 2000 23:12:01 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Garance A Drosehn <gad@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-audit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/lpr/lpr lpr.c

People on cvs-all may have noticed the following go by:

At 7:29 PM -0800 11/2/00, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
>   Modified files:
>     usr.sbin/lpr/lpr     lpr.c
>
>   Log:
>   This update gets it so 'lpr -r' ("remove the file after printing") will
>   try to move the file from the source to the destination (spool) directory.
>   If that succeeds, much time and disk-space will be saved by doing that
>   instead of copying the entire file only to remove the original.  This
>   could be a big win on machines doing samba-service or CAP-based printing.
>
>   Note that this is about the fourth or fifth iteration of the patch, after
>   trying to address all possible security implications of the change.
>
>   PR:		16124
>   Reviewed by:	freebsd-current or freebsd-hackers (some time ago)

As I mentioned in the commit message, this change had been reviewed
a few times on one of the other mailing lists (about four months ago,
I think).  The current version reflects some good observations in
those earlier reviews.  However, given that this is an area where
minor subtleties could be significant, I would not feel at all
insulted if other "more security aware" people reviewed the change
one more time, looking for possible loopholes.

I know the update WORKS, I just want to make sure there is no subtle
window which a clever hacker could make use of to do "SomethingBad".

I'm also fairly confident that there are no such security-windows,
but as I say, I would not be insulted of anyone wanted to look it
over one more time.  The update which was applied is pretty much
the same as the last one you'll see at:
(except for a few Style changes, such adding a few tabs, changing
comments, and moving the declaration of variables).

--

---