Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 1996 20:09:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      delerium@eagle.ais.net (Synaesthesia)
To:        walter@biostat.sph.unc.edu (Bruce Walter)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SIG's 11 and 6...

[...]
> HEAT! My pentium 120 was having the above problems.  Switching out memory
> would solve them for a day or two, but the problems would then start to
> build up again.  FINALLY I replaced the CPU fan and added a big waffle fan
> in the front of the case and VOILA...  No more SIG's for the last week.
> Chances are that in the past the time involved in cracking the case and
> swapping memory dropped the temp enough to alleviate the problem.

I've got a Pentium 133 here running 2.2-960612-SNAP, and it too was
experiencing more or less random Segmentation Faults, Bus Errors,
and/or Illegal Instructions.  This behavior persisted despite swapping
SIMMs several times.  I finally resolved this with a strange fix:
though the CPU can run at 133MHz, I clocked it down to 120MHz via jumper
settings on the motherboard.  I haven't had any problems with it since.

I wonder if my problem is actually heat-related as well?  Reducing the
CPU clock may simply cause the chip to run cooler.  Anyone else have
similar troubles, or other ideas?

--
delerium@ais.net