Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 1997 13:28:11 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Mcs.Net>
Cc:        jgreco@solaria.sol.net (Joe Greco), Guido.vanRooij@nl.cis.philips.com, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, core@freebsd.org, security@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.6+++: crt0.c CRITICAL CHANGE

>I don't have commit access, and won't wait long for those who do to play
>with this.  If I had it you'd have already seen the commit; I would have
>stayed up all night last night to code a REAL fix.

   Well, I *did* stay up all night working on this and committed a fix. If
people BOTHERED to read their commit email, they would have noticed that the
call too read PATH_LOCALE was completely and totally REMOVED from the
2.1-stable, 2.2, and -current. (Yes, my capslock works, too).
   As for the announcement, it's been delayed because of some uncertainty
about whether 2.2 through 3.0-SNAP is actually affected since this code:

1) Doesn't call setlocale() from crt0
2) Checks the uid != euid before using the environment PATH_LOCALE

   We will make an announcement when we have accurate information for people.

-DG

David Greenman