Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2001 12:51:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      <uid0@catastrophe.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: $MANPATH problem.

Hello -

It looks like I've found what my real problem is here.

The problem is that $MANPATH needs the following...

 1. For any directories to retain permissions of 0755 or 0750
 2. For any man pages to be at least 0400 (obviously)

It seems, to me, that #1 can be considered a questionable
"feature", and lends `man` under FreeBSD to be a bit inflexible
when a user wants to keep man pages under their home directory.

Why would a user want to do this?

Say the user does a CVS checkout of a directory called $HOME/Toolkit
each time they log into a machine. The CVS checkout is smart enough
to do it "per platform", therefore keeping various binaries in a
central repository.

Under $HOME/Toolkit is the standard set of subdirectories...

bin
sbin
lib
man
share

Fortunately this user is smart and works with a home directory of
0700.

You get the drift.....

So, by my judgement, this appears to be a bug. However, I still can't
find contact information for the actual `man' distribution under
FreeBSD. If anyone feels differently about the above, or has contact
information for the `man' developers (core team?) please let me know.

Thanks.

- #0

On or about Sep 15, 2001 at 17:32 [-0500] uid0@catastrophe.net proclaimed:

; I decided to build a toolkit for myself that I'd be able to port around
; to various boxes. In doing so, I'd also like to port my man pages around
; as well.
;
; However, I noticed a problem here under 4.3-RELEASE. It follows...
;
;    $ echo $MANPATH
;    /path/to/alternate/man:
;
;    $ man -d foo
;    ctype locale env: Invalid argument
;
;    using less as pager
;
;    using i386 architecture
;    found mandatory man directory /usr/share/man
;    found mandatory man directory /usr/share/perl/man
;    found optional man directory /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503/man
;    found manpath map /usr/bin --> /usr/share/man
;    found manpath map /usr/local/bin --> /usr/local/man
;    found manpath map /usr/X11R6/bin --> /usr/X11R6/man
;
;    search path for pages determined by manpath is
;    /path/to/alternate/man
;
;    Warning: couldn't stat file /path/to/alternate/man!
;    Warning: couldn't stat file !
;    No manual entry for foo
;
;    $ man -v