Date:      Tue, 01 Jun 1999 09:30:31 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@jkh-plip-peewee.cdrom.com>
To:        "stan@osgroup.com" <stan@osgroup.com>
Cc:        "hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Kernel config script

> You don't want FreeBSD to have more users? Do you think it already has
> enough users? How many users is enough? What is the goal of the FreeBSD
> project? To be the test platform for new kernel ideas exclusively? Why
> do you tolerate the presence of the X on the FreeBSD CD-ROMs then?

I think this point was somewhat ill-made and should be taken
more as Mike being grumpy than as any statement of official
policy. :)

> Making the script is like making more documentation. Is the current
> FreeBSD documentation so plentiful that making more documentation would
> harm somebody?

Go ahead and do it.  Like I said, this gets talked about a lot but
only a few people have ever tried to actually do it.  I've seen a few
shell scripts in the past, but all were somewhat simplistic and also
abandoned quickly, which is not what you want.  If you get users to
start using a new kernel configuration mechanism, it MUST be
maintained on a regular basis (as new options are added) or you'll
just lull them into a false sense of security and insulate them from
new features and options which exist in the "classic" config files but
are not yet in the configuration front-end tool.

As others have also said, the real goal is to have truly generic
kernels and dispense with config(8) forever.

- Jordan