Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 2004 09:25:53 +0200
From:      Jose M Rodriguez <josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es>
To:        Michael Johnson <ahze@ahze.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Gstreamer-plugins splitting ports .. needs testing and feed back ?

On Wednesday 06 October 2004 08:43, Michael Johnson wrote:
> On Oct 6, 2004, at 2:17 AM, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> > El Mi=E9rcoles, 6 de Octubre de 2004 02:51, Joe Marcus Clarke=20
escribi=F3:
[...]
> >> I don't really think we need a selector port, though that's
> >> certainly a possibility.  These plug-ins are pretty useless by
> >> themselves. They're really only useful if another application will
> >> load them (yes, you can use the GST command line tools, but how
> >> many users really do that?).
> >
> > Any way you choose, what you can't do is depend on a port with
> > variable content by the presence of a file/library.  This is the
> > real thread.
> >
> > If this is a real plugin architecture, the ports may detect just
> > what is
> > installed.
> >
> > I also think that a port selector isn't needed.
> >
> > At last here, the safest and easy path seems:
> >
> > - Convert multimedia/gstreamer-plugin in a base plugin port with
> > fixed content.
> >   * All that 'you really want' in the most basic install.
> >  The actual bento build must be a good base.
> >   * All that is critical enough to not safe build out of this.
> >   * Take off auto detection.
> >
> > - Add external ports to the rest.
>
> What should the "most basic install" be? which plugins should it  be
> built with?

A really good question for the port maintainer.

This is more a 'logistic' problem.  If gstreamer have 50 diff plugins=20
and you want implement all in a per-port basic, you may have 51 ports=20
to maintain, carry on dependencies ...

This is really a big effort that must be take by the port maintainer.

If you can name 20 that allway be in, you have 31 ports.  You can refine=20
this in future works.  And you have more chances that this can be=20
assumed by the port maintainer.

So, about the big question, you have really two.

=2D What must be take-off
things like arts and some special supports.  Even seems that kde@ must=20
be responsible off dependencies on gstreamer-plugins-arts from=20
kdemultimedia (as an example).

=2D What must be in
first, things that must be problematic out of the base port.
second, what allways be there.  Take a package from bento, expand the=20
tarball and examine the plugins.

If you allready have work done to make ports for every plugin, make the=20
gstreamer-plugins port depends on these.  But it must be a fixed=20
content port and you must have just only one keyword to select it.

> I've got most of the ports that work with gstreamer-plugins patched
> for the new gstreamer-plugins and none want the exact same plugins.

You may rework this after the gstreamer-plugins redef.  The ports must=20
depend on gstreamer-plugins and the gstreamer-plugins-{extra} they=20
really need.  You may make this via keywords if you like.

> Here's what I have so far..
> gnomemedia2/Makefile:USE_GSTREAMER=3D     cdparanoia
> jamboree/Makefile:USE_GSTREAMER+=3D               esound
> jamboree/Makefile:USE_GSTREAMER+=3D               mad vorbis
> marlin/Makefile:USE_GSTREAMER=3D  cdparanoia
> rhythmbox/Makefile:GST_PLUGINS=3D musicbrainz gnomevfs flac mad
> rhythmbox/Makefile:USE_GSTREAMER+=3D              faad
> rhythmbox/Makefile:USE_GSTREAMER+=3D              ${GST_PLUGINS}
> rhythmbox/Makefile:USE_GSTREAMER+=3D              ${GST_PLUGINS}
> rhythmbox/Makefile:USE_GSTREAMER+=3D              vorbis
> sound-juicer/Makefile:USE_GSTREAMER=3D    cdparanoia vorbis flac lame
> tunesbrowser/Makefile:USE_GSTREAMER=3D    mad
> tunesbrowser/Makefile:USE_GSTREAMER+=3D   esound
> nautilus-media/Makefile:USE_GSTREAMER=3D  gnomevfs libpng vorbis mad
> flac
>
> Michael

=2D-
  josemi