Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 10:22:42 -0400
From:      "J. W. Ballantine" <jwb@homer.att.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   cvsup/3.2-RELEASE

I did a sup on my 3.1-STABLE system Friday, early evening, and then
did a make world and a kernel rebuild/install.  When I checked on the
make world Saturday am, the screen was locked, so i rebooted the system
and when it came up the kernel said it was 3.2-RELEASE.  However, the
system wouldn't start because /bin/sh was not in executable format.
When I was able to bring up the system using /bin/csh, I looked at the
make world log and found it failed during an install in the games
dir because bin was not a valid account on the system, yet bin is a valid
user in the passwd file.

Did I sup at the wrong time and get ``bad''  source??
Is there some major change between 3.1-STABLE and 3.2-RELEASE that resulted
in the problem, or is there something else going on???

Jim Ballantine