Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 11:43:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        ndear@areti.net, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mbuf clusters.

On 12 Aug 1999, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> Doug <Doug@gorean.org> writes:
> > 	I ran highly loaded IRC servers like that for years. In 2.2.8 increasing
> > maxusers beyond 512 or NMBCLUSTERS above 15k is a pessimization, but those
> > levels are safe as long as you have the physical ram to handle it.
>
> No, they're not. There are "sweet spots" (specific values of maxusers
> which work), but increasing maxusers beyond 128 on quarter-gig-kva
> systems basically makes the system unstable.

	If you believe that you should document it with accompanying
evidence to support your claims. I'm talking real world experience on
several machines (c. 20) over the course of two years, so I'm not going to
back down from saying that those settings do work.

Doug
--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter