Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 02:21:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Stefan Parvu <stefan.parvu@comptel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2questions

routed back to -questions.

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Stefan Parvu wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have posted this email for question@freebsd.org but I didn't got any answer.
>

> I am running FreeBSD 3.3 Release on one laptop Toshiba and as XServer the
> Accelerated X 5.0.2. I am curious about one fact. Everytime when I exit
> from XServer I 've got:
>
> > pid 8971 (Xaccel): trap 12 with interrupts disabled
>
> What it is about ?

XaccelX is sorta buggy, it turns off interrupts and then triggers an
interrupt somehow, the kernel is complaining about it and coping with
it.

> Anyway on AccelX box it is said that FreeBSD OS is supported but only
> inside in box I have found that only 2.x are supported, according with
> members of FreeBSD project. Why ? Why not 3.x?

Because AccelX hasn't been very good at keeping FreeBSD users feeling
happy/supported, see Brett Glass's recent posts about his run-in with
a clueless Xig salesperson (the same thing happened to me).

I've already bought Xig's server for two reasons, it is pretty darn
good and I thought it was the only one out there (besideds XFree)

It now seems that some other commercial X servers for FreeBSD
are appearing (see: http://www.metrolink.com/) that and XFree's
acceleration and stability has improved substantially.  I'll be
investigating those the next time a purchase op/reason to upgrade
comes up.

> On the other hand using FreeBSD 3.3 on another box (Compaq Desktop, AMD
> K6-333, 80MBRAM; 4GB, Voodoo3 PCI 2000) I ran top and the SIZE of XF86_SVGA
> goes to 54MB and RSIZE the same.
> Why ?

I don't know, this is the FreeBSD Project's help mailing list, not
the XFree86 help mailing lists, you may want to check over at
http://www.xfree86.org for answers to that and other X server
questions.  All I can really say is the an X server is a complicated
program that needs a lot of supporting code to do its job, hence the
large footprint.

  450 bright     2   0 42328K 40088K select 1   1:07  0.00%  0.00% Xaccel

*shrug*

good luck,
-Alfred