Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:06:31 -0600
From:      Justin Scott <jhs@impakt.net>
To:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   greetings

Hello,

I just joined the list today, and have been reading about the PicoBSD and
other similar projects today.

What I am wondering is if the current "Networking Version" of PicoBSD has the
ability to support SMP?

The project I'm currently working on is the resurrection of Pentium-or-better
class machines, which have been abandoned by their owners in favor of faster
hardware.  I try to get as many dual-processor machines as possible.  The
whole reason for this is to provide CPU cycles to the SETI@Home project.

What I am considering is placing two floppy drives into one of these systems,
booting off of the PicoBSD floppy, and storing all SETI@Home information on
the second floppy.  Two CPU's worth of SETI@Home data files can be stored in
less than 1.44 megs, including a single copy of the client binary.

If I could make this project work with Floppy Drives, I could save the hassle
of building up a new hard disk for each of these machines.  Additionally, if
one machine dies, I could take it's SETI@Home floppy to another machine, and
have that one finish the dead machine's work units.

I'm certain that PicoBSD should be able to handle this for a single-cpu
machine, but I couldn't find any information that states if SMP was compiled
into the kernel.  If this isn't supported, but sounds feasible, I'm willing to
test the images, or assist in building such an image.  I have 8 years of
professional UNIX experience under my belt, and I'm quite familiar with
FreeBSD (from a user/admin point of view).

I apologize if this topic has previously been discussed, or if my answer could
be found in online documentation.  I didn't find the answer on the PicoBSD
site.

cheers,