Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 2014 15:24:47 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf@gmail.com>
Subject:   Staging for ... Generating temporary packing list mtree: /usr/local/etc/mtree/BSD.gnome.dist: No such file or directory

It appears to me that if the portmaster man page's instructions for =
"Using portmaster to do a complete reinstallation of all your ports" are =
still supposed to work that the new staging for ports is currently =
broken.

Context: As part of an attempt to get ready to test some of Justin =
Hibbits recent powerpc/powerpc64 related changes I attempted to follow =
the portmaster man page's instructions for "Using portmaster to do a =
complete reinstallation of all your ports". (I decide to start from an =
SSD that had contents from back in mid July and decide to just reinstall =
all the ports.)

The result of the portmaster `cat ~/ports_origins` (my chosen file name =
for steps 1 and 10) failed with:

gmake[1]: Leaving directory =
`/usr/obj/portswork/usr/ports/devel/gobject-introspection/work/gobject-int=
rospection-1.36.0'
=3D=3D=3D>  Staging for gobject-introspection-1.36.0_3
=3D=3D=3D>   Generating temporary packing list
mtree: /usr/local/etc/mtree/BSD.gnome.dist: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/devel/gobject-introspection

=3D=3D=3D>>> make stage failed for devel/gobject-introspection
=3D=3D=3D>>> Aborting update

=3D=3D=3D>>> Update for devel/gobject-introspection failed
=3D=3D=3D>>> Aborting update

Looking around after this showed that /usr/local/etc/mtree does not =
exist (but /usr/local/etc did exist).

This may be in part because when I interpreted step 9 of the man page's =
instructions

           9. Manually check /usr/local and /var/db/pkg
              to make sure that they are really empty

I did:

rm -fr /usr/local/*
rm -fr /var/db/pkg/*

because there was lots of stuff around and I interpreted "empty" rather =
literally. Another possibility is that there is some place recording =
historical mtree information that needed =
/usr/local/etc/mtree/BSD.gnome.dist cleared out in some way but the =
instructions did not lead to my doing so.

Anybody know how I would get /usr/local/etc/mtree/BSD.gnome.dist back in =
place or otherwise be able to rebuild and reinstall my ports?

[Justin: This gives an idea where I'm at relative to testing the =
Xorg/xfce4 failure on powerpc/GENERIC. buildworld, kernel, installworld =
seems to have worked fine. But I do not have Xorg or xfce4 in place yet =
to repeat the previously failing steps.]

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net