Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 15:42:40 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        DJjAzYTrevor@cs.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, dfr@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question (fwd)

> What is Lynux and Unux exactly used for,

UNIX operating systems usually aim to provide robust platforms for
networked applications and the development thereof.

> i am a programmer will this be a bigger and better step for me?

If you are developing dstributed or networked applications, maybe.  You
should really do some reading.  Search your favourite technical web site
(e.g. http://www.cnet.com/) for Linux and/or FreeBSD and you shouldn't
come short of information.

> but will it also still support my Hardware i.e Athlon 550,,voodoo3
> 3dfx,,56k modem,,13gigs,,

As far as FreeBSD is concerned, the only thing you've mentioned with
which you may have problems is the 56k modem.  I say this because you
haven't described the modem.  If it's a WinModem, FreeBSD won't support
it.  If it's an external modem that plugs into a serial port, you
shouldn't have a problem.  Otherwise, a brandname would help.

As far as your Voodoo3 card is concerned, the release notes for XFree86
release 3.3.5 claim support for it.  The reading you do on your
favourite technical web site will probably enlighten you as to what
XFree86 is.

>   Will i still be able to run the same programs as i did on windows,

Almost certainly not. There may be a few programs that might run under
emulation, but for serious development applications, the answer is
usually no.  Of course, FreeBSD comes with and supports numerous serious
development applications.

Make no mistake, though.  Migrating from Windows will involve a complete
paradigm shift and will not lead to increaed productivity overnight.
If you could provide more of an idea as to what you're interested in
_doing_ with FreeBSD, we'd be in a better position to speculate on
whether it'll be a worthwhile migration for you. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.