Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 06:30:27 -0700 ()
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        David Marsh <drmarsh@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD Newbies FAK

> So I'm wondering if -questions really is different in this case?
> Do people not mind emailing answers directly to NON-subscribing
> questioners? On most other lists that would be considered rude.

	It is, -questions can be sent E-mail from any number of locations
on the www.cdrom.com webpage, and www.freebsd.org, in regards to any
technical support questions a user may have. It's different then other
mailing lists because it's really the 'only' technical support FreeBSD
really has.

> Which comes back to my point that with -questions being very very busy,
> and -newbies being very very quiet, I'd just like to politely suggest
> that maybe we should be able to ask at least some of the more
> 'low level' questions here?

	-newbies was/is meant to be a 'chatter' group for those of us new
to FreeBSD. There was Tim whathisname telling us all about his trials and
triumphs about installing FreeBSD. There has been some misc chatter over
the last few months I've been subscribed. The only problem with changing
this list to be a 'low level tech support' is how would it be enforced?
How would a person know if their question is a newbie question or a more
advanced question? That is why -questions really exists, as a gateway to
all the other groups, -hardware, -alpha, etc.

					Rick