Date:      Thu, 4 Jul 2002 14:56:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "nate" <freebsd@aphroland.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ldap authentication in freebsd

<quote who="Joe Marcus Clarke">
> On Wed, 2002-07-03 at 20:41, nate wrote:
>> hi
>>
>> i was wanting to know how i would go about using ldap to authenticate in
>> freebsd.  i see there is the padl' pam_ldap module but what
>> about storing user information (/etc/passwd) in ldap? on solaris and
>> linux among others there is nsswitch.conf and nss_ldap, but
>> freebsd 4.6 does not appear to support nsswitch, nor the modules for it.
>> so what would I do to store this information in ldap and retrieve it
>> from ldap ?
>
> I use the pam_ldap module (security/pam_ldap), but as you know, this is
> only for user authentication.  I heard that PADL's NIS to LDAP gateway
> for FreeBSD works, though I have not tried it myself.  You may want to
> check that out.

ok thanks. i'll look into that again, though last i checked it was
commercial and ran about $1k, a bit steep for a personal project on
my home network :)

i guess i may just store the entries in /etc/passwd since i have so
few and they won't change much, was just hopin to get everything
on ldap.

nate