Date:      Thu, 6 May 1999 18:49:17 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        stable@freebsd.org, jdp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Directories disappearing with CVSUP, -stable, and SOFTUPDATES

Folks,

[ cc'd to JDP, as it might be a CVSup problem ]

I was just in the middle of a CVSup.  I keep a checked out copy of
/usr/ports around, but keep local copies of the repositories for
everything else.

On my host, /usr/ports is (or rather, was) a symlink to /local/1/usr.ports.

It's a 3.1-stable host, with softupdates enabled.  Based on time stamps
in /usr/obj, the last "make world" was March 30th.

The messages window of the CVSup GUI has just shown;

    [...]
    Edit ports/net/pavuk/files/md5
     Add delta 1.5 99.05.06.14.04.39 flathill
    Edit ports/print/tr2latex/Makefile
     Add delta 1.11 99.05.06.10.21.25 tg
    Edit ports/print/tr2latex/files/md5
     Add delta 1.5 99.05.06.10.21.29 tg
    Edit ports/security/identify/Makefile
     Add delta 1.4 99.05.05.20.06.51 billf
    Delete ports/sysutil/ffsrecov/Makefile
    Delete ports/sysutil/ffsrecov/files/md5
    Delete ports/sysutil/ffsrecov/pkg/COMMENT
    Delete ports/sysutil/ffsrecov/pkg/DESCR
    Delete ports/sysutil/ffsrecov/pkg/PLIST
    Edit ports/sysutils/Makefile
    Updater failed: ports/sysutils/Makefile: Cannot open: \
      No such file or directory

and has stopped.

On investigation, /usr/ports has been removed.  /local/1/usr.ports no
longer exists, and the /usr/ports symlink has been replaced with a real
directory, containing sysutils/#cvs.cvsup-10375.288, which is an
empty file.

At the time I had two compiles running out of the ports/ directory (less,
and procmail, so nothing too big), and was receiving mail (sendmail).
System load was about .75 or thereabouts.

I've seen this happen once before, about 10 days ago.  At the time I'd done
an "rm -rf *" about five minutes before hand (in another directory) and
had put it down to me being careless about the directory I was in.  This
time there's no chance of that, as I wasn't at the keyboard when it
happened.

In the past week I have run CVSup successfully several times without
incident.  I'm running cvsup-16.0.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

    There's some milk in the fridge about to go off. . . and there it goes.