Date:      Fri, 3 May 2002 16:33:48 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fetchmail

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 10:08:22AM -0500, Henning, Brian wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to get fetchmail to work on my BSD box but i am having some
> problems.  I get a error message of
> 'SMTP connect to localhost failed' as shown below. I am pretty sure I have
> it configured properly on the fetchmail side. Do i need to have sendmail
> installed and configured to use fetchmail? If so can you direct me to some
> documentation for correct configuration..

You will need to have some kind of MTA available, such as sendmail or
exim, or you can use procmail for this purpose (it needs to run suid
root for this to work, presumably so it has permission to write to
/var/mail/ ).  You need to add this to your .fetchmailrc rules to pass
messages to procmail:

    mda /usr/local/bin/procmail

This way, you do not need to have an MTA running all the time.

YMMV, as they say.

Dan