Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2012 08:15:05 -1000
From:      Al Plant <noc@hdk5.net>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller23@insightbb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Omega Zip Drives on FreeBSD 8.*

Thomas Mueller wrote:
> from Al Plant <noc@hdk5.net>:
>
>> Thanks....
>
>> Of the 4 I had to play with one literally fell apart one scsi card is
>> throwing errors. The one I finally got working is an old IDE on a
>> FreeBSD 10 box that I experiment with. This should work fine to archive
>> the Omega disks we found.
>
>>  Again thanks for heading me on the right path.
>
>> ~Al Plant - Honolulu, Hawaii -  Phone:  808-284-2740
>
> What fell apart?  Was it the Iomega Zip drive, the disk, or the scsi card?
>
> I assume Omega is a typo or memory lapse for what should be Iomega?
>
> IDE has given way on modern motherboards in favor of SATA, but current OSes would still have IDE/ATAPI support.
>
> You might still be advised to backup or transfer the data on Zip disks to CDs, DVDs or USB sticks or hard drives.
>
> Remember, Zip disks are just glorified floppies.
>
> Tom

Aloha,

Iomega yes. Button on front of one unit that released the disks played
fell inside when pushed and the plastic cover fell off the top. Dried
out from age probably.

We are going to put the diles on to flash drive and then onto cd's and
DVD's as many files are .jpg or artwork video etc.

   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD  7.2 - 8.0 - 9* +
   < email: noc@hdk5.net >