Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2012 21:27:27 -0500
From:      David Duchscher <daved@tamu.edu>
To:        darrenr@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, hgcheng@berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: NAT with Port-block Allocation in FreeBSD?

--Apple-Mail=_F81E394A-94A1-4AC0-882F-18FE80AD4BA3

On Jun 5, 2012, at 3:29 PM, Darren Reed wrote:

> In IPFilter, the "map-block" ipnat rule serves exactly the
> purpose that you are looking for. It provides address
> translation of network addresses for N:M and uses ports
> to multiplex them in.
>=20
> Thus a /16 can be nat'd to a /8 with the other 8 bits
> used in the port number.
>=20
> The results of the NAT'd packets are such that if you are
> given an external IP address and port number, you can
> calculate which internal IP address was used without having
> to know what was the currently active state of the machine.
>=20
> A typical rule might look like this:
> map-block le0 10.0.0.0/16 -> 203.1.1.0/24 ports auto

Darren,

This is very interesting. We currently use PF to NAT our wireless =
network and we too would like to reduce the logging load.  We currently =
run around 40-50k state entries per box (4 systems).  We are planning on =
adding 4 more systems in the next month so we have more room and better =
handling of failures.  Researching ipnat, I see that modifications to =
the ipnat.h header might be needed for it to handle our load.  We =
currently have 31 vlans with /22 network assigned to the system.  Do you =
feel ipnat can handle this load?  Do you have any recommendations for =
the various values?

Thanks for your time and help,
--
DaveD

--Apple-Mail=_F81E394A-94A1-4AC0-882F-18FE80AD4BA3--