Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 18:32:56 -0700
From:      Dan Zerkle <zerkle@home.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: StarOffice library problem.  Help?

Dan Zerkle wrote:
> I seem to have a major problem with StarOffice under 4.3-STABLE.  Since
> everything says that SO runs flawlessly, I'm thinking that it must be
> some problem with -stable or some problem with my configuration.  Anyone
> have a hint?

I did a complete re-install of StarOffice 5.2.  It fixed the problem.

First, a "make deinstall" on /usr/ports/editors/staroffice52
simply insisted that it wasn't installed (huh?).

make clean
make install
then the user install...

> I then had to modify the "soffice" script a little bit, as follows:
>
> sd_platform=`uname -s`
> case $sd_platform in
>         SCO_SV) test=/bin/test     ;;
>         FreeBSD) test=/bin/test     ;;
>         *)      test=/usr/bin/test ;;
> esac

This was not needed the second time around.  It just runs now (so
far).

So, it looks like it was a muffed install the first time around.
  No idea why.  It certainly seemed to think things were normal
the first time around.

Well, this should go into the archives so that if anyone else
runs into it, they'll know that the answer is "just install it
again."

If you've managed to read this far, I've got another question for
you.  I loaded yesterday's -stable snapshot.  Is there a quick
way for me to track that whatever the current -stable is by
downloading updated binaries, or do I need to resort to compiling
the sources?  If there is a such a way, where is the
documentation for this?

Likewise for keeping packages up-to-date?  Debian has a nice way
of doing something like that, and I was wondering if FreeBSD has it.

I used to track -stable via sources, but that was a pain, and I'm
hoping that there is a cleverer way....