Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:05:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Background Fsck

Kirk,

I haven't had a chance to look at the tunefs source lately, but quick
question: does tunefs block the setting of the soft updates flag on a
dirty file system?  It seems to me that, if it doesn't, a possible nasty
sequence of events is: system does unclean shutdown without soft updates,
administrator (possibly not realizing this) boots to single-user mode, and
sets soft updates, then attempts to enter multi-user mode, where fsck says
"ah, soft updates, doesn't matter if it's unclean, let's background fsck".
Shortly thereafter, an inconsistency is discovered and the system panics.
As such, tunefs should only allow the setting of soft updates on a file
system marked clean.  It may already do this, but figured I should ask.

Thanks!