Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 21:17:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        sbabkin@dcn.att.com
Cc:        vovik@ntu-kpi.kiev.ua, tlambert@primenet.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getty issue file

> > "The file /etc/motd is normally displayed by login(1) after a user has
> > logged in but before the shell is run."
>
> Does it change the image of already printed letters after you load new
> fonts ?

Yes, if the data was printed in the G0/G1 set, and you replace the set
it was printed in.

We used this fact to get "wipe" effects on VT220's.  8-).

I think one of my friends still has his "chess set" sixel character
set; I'm not sure if the other one still has his "slot machine" character
set.

I still have my "Commodore PET" character set.  And my tokenised
Commodore BASIC interpreter written in VAX FORTRAN.  You had to
send the "ESC # 6" to get the VT220 into "40 column mode".  It's
on one of my TK50's.  8-).

> > For example DEC VT420 supports soft scrool, screen-refresh rate at
> > 70Hz, line speed up to 38.4K, etc ...

38.4K -- with flow control, I assume.  The VT3xx and higher terminals
were all slow as molasses compared to earlier terminals because of
their soft "personality" cartidges.  Big mistake on DEC's part -- it
made Wyse terminals worth getting.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---