Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 11:29:33 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, freebsd-questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Running sendmail (was: Help with sending a PR)

On Sunday,  7 February 1999 at 22:56:25 +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:

>>> Ah, come on, give me a break, this is the first time I've done this.
>>>
>>> I said I'm going to have to do it on-line on the Website, which means
>>> using a browser. I know how to include a file in vi, but doesn't send-pr
>>> use sendmail? which I haven't got installed. My only concern is that if
>>> I enter the diffs by copying & pasting then the TABS will be converted
>>> to spaces so the patches won't work (without the ``-l'' option).
>>
>> Hmm.  Doing this with a browser is really rather like sending a boy on
>> a man's job.  Losing tabs is not such a crisis, but losing line breaks
>> is, and both browsers and Microsoft's toy mailers like to do that.
>> This might be a good time to think about setting up mail on your
>> FreeBSD box.  It's not difficult.  If you can't do that, send me the
>> text of the PR and ftp the file to ftp://ftp.lemis.com/incoming/, and
>> I'll do it for you.
>
> OK guys, that's it. I've had enough "get yourself a _proper_ mailer"
> advice. I've done it.

Congratulation :-)

> I've installed mutt _and_ I've got it to d/l my mail from our mail
> server at work (which is where all my e-mail comes through). It was
> even easier than The Book said, I didn't need popclient as I just
> needed to setup some POP stuff in ~/.muttrc then type ``G''.  :-)
>
> Now all I've got to do is figure out how to make sendmail send my mail
> (you'll notice from the header that I sent this message with Netscape).
> I've looked at the manpage, the handbook, FAQ, and The Book but they
> haven't really helped,

Would you care to say what you didn't find on pages 465-468 of The
Book?  I'm in the process of revising it for the Third Edition, so it
would be a good time.

> they seem more to do with receiving mail.

Well, there's more to it than there is to sending.

> One last thing. I still haven't learned all the keystrokes in mutt yet
> and sometimes use the wrong one, e.g. ``f'' to move to the next page (as
> in vi). However as this means ``forward'' I get a ``To: '' prompt. How
> do I cancel it? ESC and Ctrl-D don't work, Ctrl-C does but asks ``Exit
> mutt?'' with ``y'' as the default answer. What is the correct key to
> cancel a command?

If you get the To: prompt, just press Enter without anything else, and
it'll stop trying.

Greg