Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2012 12:15:39 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us>
To:        Tim Gustafson <tjg@soe.ucsc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using AMD with NFS Mounts

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012, Tim Gustafson wrote:

> Not having autofs on FreeBSD is a real thorn in my side.  I'm trying
> to get FreeBSD implemented more at UCSC, and specifically the School
> of Engineering, as a large-volume file server, and the lack of a
> proper auto-mounter that works the same way (or at least close enough)
> as all our other systems is a huge roadblock.

I agree.  I don't understand the relationship between FreeBSD and AMD
(am-utils).  FreeBSD barely admits to having AMD and does not provide
any documentation for it.  Likewise, books about FreeBSD do not
discuss the automounter.

> I'm not much of a kernel hacker, otherwise I might attempt this
> myself, but it seems like this can't possibly be that hard, especially
> since it's implemented in Linux, which is GPL'd and therefore open to
> porting.

It would be more reasonable to re-use the Sun automounter code from
Illumos which should be under CDDL license like zfs.  The Sun
automounter code is more mature than Linux automounter and has fewer
missing features and fewer bugs.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn