Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 23:13:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        grog@lemis.com
Cc:        kjk1@ukc.ac.uk, questions@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Suggestion for ports...

 * > I do have a small suggestion (I haven't tried this, so it may already
 * > exist). I noticed that make uses a `work' directory to compile in. How
 * > about making it so that if make finds the file system read-only and is
 * > unable to create a work directory, it defaults to (for example)
 * > `/tmp/<portname>.work'. That way, the casual ports user can do

 * Not to my knowledge.  I'm copying FreeBSD-ports on this for other
 * opinions, but personally I don't think that's too important.  When
 * you're done, you can always do a 'make clean' to get rid of the stuff
 * you don't need.

Actually, I have been thinking about this (and some more) for some
time.  Having to be able to go to, say, /cdrom/ports/editors/emacs and
simply say "make install clean" is nice.

However, simply redefining WRKDIR doesn't really work because there
are so many ports right now that creates files (most notably,
pkg/PLIST) in places other than that.  I am also thinking about a
mechanism to automatically "filter" them in WRKDIR so the user can sed
it all he wants.

Satoshi