Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 02:12:24 -0800
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, Michael Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, scott_long@btc.adaptec.com, mark_salyzyn@adaptec.com, obrien@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: asr can not map memory?

> Yeah, you do.  I fully understood _that_ context; I think Mike
> was talking about other context.  It's pretty clear to me that
> ranges ought to be per bridge chipset, rather than global... I
> thought that that was what the option was working around: that
> they were not.

I can't imagine how you came to this conclusion.  You won't get it from
reading the code, or from understanding how PCI works.  Maybe you need
sleep too.

The problem is twofold:

 - The code is broken, it fails to take into account both prefetched and
   non-prefetched bridge mappings.  It also appears to miscompute the
   start of one of the attempted range accesses.

 - There is anecdotal evidence that some bridges pass ranges other than
   those advertised in their mappings, so even if the first problem is
   resolved, enforcing correctness may result in occasional lossage.

And, since you ask, the whole reason behind having this code in the
first place is that we need to be able to correctly assign resources for
devices behind bridges.

I got run over by a car last time I worked on this code.  Time for
someone else to pick it up.

 = Mike

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not