Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2018 10:56:22 -0700
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Tom Vijlbrief <tvijlbrief@gmail.com>, "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Subject:   Re: GPT vs MBR for swap devices

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 09:53:57AM -0700, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> I would be very interested in seeing if resizing the swap partition
> in the example that greatly exceeds what the system expects as a
> max total swap helps to bring the OOM issue under control.

The swap partitions at my immediate disposal are
1 GB USB flash
1 GB microSD flash
2 GB microSD flash
3 GB USB mechanical

What combination is apt to be most informative? My original intent
was to use 1 GB USB flash plus 1 GB microSD flash in hopes of a speed
gain from interleaving, but maybe that's no longer realistic. Anything
over 3 GB total causes the "too much swap" warning and I've never observed
more than about 1.2 GB of swap in use.

> I think the state of things is such that if you use up the
> max usable swap space on the first swap device, only that
> swap device well ever be used.  I do not believe there is
> any attempts what so ever to split the allocation up so
> that you use the first fraction of each device.

Swap usage seem to be spread among active partitions, though
how they're weighted is unclear to me. In days of yore there
was a little note about "interleaved" in swapinfo reports, but
I don't recall seeing that for a loong time. Maybe that feature
has gone away.....

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska