Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2019 01:34:36 +0300
From:      Vladimir Kondratyev <vladimir@kondratyev.su>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?=E8=97=8D=E6=8C=BA=E7=91=8B?= <lantw44@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, owner-freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which should be used, devel/evdev-proto or /usr/include/dev/evdev?

On 2019-03-19 19:53, =E8=97=8D=E6=8C=BA=E7=91=8B wrote:
> I found evdev-proto, which includes linux/input.h, was added a few
> months ago. It seems that many ports has been gradually switched to use
> it after it was added.
Really, all these ports always had indirect dependency on linux/input.h=20
via
RUN_DEPENDS=3Dmultimedia/vl4_compat in libevdev or webcamd Makefile.

> However, I also remember there was a patch in
> ports to modify GTK3 to use dev/evdev/input.h from base instead of
> linux/input.h from ports. I wonder which one should be preferred now.
>=20
> The GTK3 patch mentioned above was added about a year ago:
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/ports/465644
>=20
> After seeing the patch in ports, I submitted it to GTK upstream:
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/merge_requests/132
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/merge_requests/133
>=20
> Since software supporting Wayland are likely to require linux/input.h,
> is there a policy on dealing with the dependency on linux/input.h?
We are trying to mimic Linux evdev API closely, so leave linux/input.h
#includes in-place if code is intended to be compiled on Linux too,
otherwise use dev/evdev/input.h if it is FreeBSD-only.

> It seems to me that evdev-proto was added specifically to address the
> issue, so I guess we should just install evdev-proto, stop patching
> linux/input.h to dev/evdev/input.h, stop submitting this kind of patch
> to upstream projects and tell upstream it is fine to use linux/input.h
> on FreeBSD. Is it correct?
Yes it is correct. I think, once evdev API becomes stable enough, we=20
could
create /usr/include/compat/linux/ directory filled with symlinks to
dev/evdev files and nuke evdev-proto port.