Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 11:31:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        adrian@obiwan.aceonline.com.au, tqbf@enteract.com, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Privileged ports...

What if you allow anyone to bind to any port, and at the same time,
make inted.conf much longer, so that theres a line of the form

noservice-513	stream	tcp	nowait	nobody	/usr/sbin/close	close

for each low numbered port?  It seems that (modulo configuration being
a little painful) this offers the best of both worlds--control over
low numbered ports, but anyone can bind to a port with root's
permission.  That permission is given in a config file for a program,
not hard coded into the kernel.  (It might also be possible to extend
the inetd config language so that it recognized a noservice- token to
mean bind to that port, and don't let anything else use it.)

	This has the nice(?) side effect of messing up a log of simple
minded security scanners (like strobe).

Adam

David Greenman wrote:
| >The only problem here is that it kinda defeats the whole purpose of prived
| >ports in the first place. I guess the whole thing here is to write small
| >programs that do the necessary SUID bit, then drop back down into
| >nonrootland to continue.
| >
| >David (and anyone else interested) - I'd be very interested in hearing
| >what security holes would be introduced by having a UID (or GID) to bind
| >to priv'ed ports.
|
|    None that I can think of if I understand you correctly. The thing you
| want to prevent is regular users being able to bind to a privileged port.
| It would take an average cracker less than 5 minutes to whip up a couple
| of really nasty programs (such as one that pretends to be rlogin - claiming
| to be some other user). As long as you retain control over who/what can
| bind to the privileged ports, I don't see any problem.

					               -Hume