Date:      04 Jul 2002 23:01:22 +0100
From:      Stacey Roberts <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>
To:        Adam Wood <woodfucius@attbi.com>
Cc:        'FreeBSD-Questions' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Dynamic DNS Client experiences?

--=-6n2UHWrHpQCiRUacLrIC

Thanks Adam (and everyone else that replied!),
      I think that ZoneEdit meets the requirements for what I have in
mind here. Only, I'm drawn towards using ddclient for the dynamic DNS
client on the gateway. Have you come across this client? What are your
thoughts?

Stacey

On Wed, 2002-07-03 at 23:56, Adam Wood wrote:
> > Hi,
> >   I'm hoping to get some of the list members' thoughts and=20
> > experiences with various dynamic DNS client programs here.
> >=20
> > I'm interested in running some services from a home network,=20
> > and I've decided to give the folks at ZoneEdit try - in case=20
> > anyone's interested.,
> >=20
> > So any suggestions, comments, experiences and gotchas that=20
> > could assist me, are welcome.
> >=20
>=20
>=20
> I use ZoneEdit - they're great.  Lynx (/usr/ports/www/lynx) works fine
> for updating my address.  I have a cron job that runs the following
> script once a week.
>=20
> #!/bin/sh
> # Script to update IP address at ZoneEdit.
> lynx -source -auth=3DUSERNAME:PASSWORD
> 'http://dynamic.zoneedit.com/auth/dynamic.html?host=3Dwoodfucius.com'
>=20
> chmod the script to 700 and you're all set.
>=20
> Hope that helps,
> Adam
>=20
>=20
>=20
--=20
Stacey Roberts B.Sc. (HONS) Computer Science
Network Systems Engineer

--=-6n2UHWrHpQCiRUacLrIC

--=-6n2UHWrHpQCiRUacLrIC--