Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:12:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The Window Manager Wars

In selecting a window manager, I'd encourage folks to consider a few
things that may not have been given much prominence of late:

* One of the reasons X supports multiple window managers is that "one
  size fits all" often doesn't:  different folks have differnt
  requirements at different times (& places).

* If one of your requirements is ability to be able to be (nearly)
  equally productive in multiple environments, it makes sense to use
  tools that facilitate that.  For example, if you are comfortable with
  whatever desktop M$ has for one of its products, using an X window
  manager that resembles that might be a good choice.  In my case, I had
  been using tvtwm on my old Sun 3/60 (at home) for years, so I use it
  here on FreeBSD, as well.  I can make it do what I need it to do
  (mostly, have lots of virtual real estate; I tend to keep windows up
  for weeks or months, and devote certain sections of "virtual real
  estate" to certain activities).  On the other home machine (a SPARCstation
  5/110 running Solaris 2.6), I run olvwm -- some of the Solaris stuff
  seems to work better under olwm than under twm, and I need my
  "virtual" desktop.  (I haven't figured out how to make a given window
  bigger than the screen in CDE, so that strongly discourages me from
  trying to do anything more with it.)

* If you're trying to learn new things (vs. merely get stuff done),
  that's a rather different set of requirements.  Indeed, in such a
  case, you might want to be sure that you include "xnest" when you
  select the parts of X Windows to install:  that's a somewhat "special"
  X server that allows you to run an X environment within X.  Given
  adequate virtual memory, you may be able to do some "interesting"
  things (such as side-by-side comparisons of different window
  managers).  Of course, it may help to get familiar with such concepts
  as "recursion"....  :-)

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621