Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 02:30:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Danny <dannyh@idx.com.au>
Cc:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>, Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>, John <papalia@UDel.Edu>, mw@sax.de, David Bein <bein@pyramid.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LAN Questions.

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Danny wrote:

> -Currently my network has 6 networks running Win 98 for the staff
>
> - It is shared on resource level like //danny/work, //danny/documentation
> - the printer is //accounts/canon
> - If I wanted to find out about sales stuff I might go to //sales/pricing
>
> I need something centralised so I can go //samba/documentation,
> //samba/accounts
> Then I want to install a TAPE drive to back things up
>
> Here are some of my proposal for the solution: -
>
> - Install Freebsd and NFS server. Get Freebsd to share the printer and the
> folders
> - I heard of some tool called Exalaber that can also do the job
> - Samba - to share files with Windows 98 and share printers with Windows 98
>
> Question: -
>
> - Will Samba be able to solve all my problems?

Samba can allow FreeBSD to share drives, directories and printers to
the windows clients.

> - If I configure Freebsd as a NFS server is it possible I can make Windows
> 98 a NFS client?

I haven't heard of a free NFS client for windows, you're better off
going with samba and using the native (and free) windows networking
share system.  Also, NFS doesn't allow one to share printers or allow
the level of fine grained access control you're probably going to want
to implement.

> - Maybe I better solution that may not involve Freebsd.

That's up to you, but challenging people on the list with a statement
like that is _not_ the way to get help.

> Any advice will help alot. Thankss.

Pick up a _recent_ book on samba, and make sure when you install
samba it's from the ports/packages do _not_ try to compile it
yourself, there's a nasty performance issue with the default way
that samba compiles on FreeBSD, the port we have corrects it.

I've never heard of 'Exalaber' perhaps you can provide a URL to
it?

And try to avoid cross-posting, someone will pick up your question
we just don't want two copies of it. :)

good luck,
-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|alfred@freebsd.org]
Wintelcom systems administrator and programmer
   - http://www.wintelcom.net/ [bright@wintelcom.net]