Date:      04 Dec 2002 11:52:00 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Piero <piero@poprostu.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gnome crash at startup

On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 09:10, Piero wrote:
> Hi, me again.
>
> My Gnome2 build on top of Gnome1 crashes at startup. Here is what I
> read through a stack of error windows from top to bottom:
>
> Can't Display Location
> "/" is not a valid location. Please check the spelling and try
> again.
>
> Can't Display Location
> "/home/piero" is not a valid location. Please check the spelling and
> try again.
>
> Can't Display Location
> "/home/piero/.gnome-desktop" is not a valid location. Please check
> the spelling and try again.
>
> Error
> Application "gnome-panel" (process 603) has crashed due to a fatal
> error. (Segmentation fault)
>
> After accepting the last note it enters a dead loop, Gnome tries to
> run the panel and it crashes again coming back to the note with a
> new PID. However Opera browser that was saved in the session hangs
> up meanwhile, though the gnome-terminal doesn't. I am pretty
> suspicious now these crashes are coming from errors in saving
> sessions while you leave Gnome.
>
> I has portupgraded -f gnome-panel and libpanel, no luck. Also tried
> to take Gnome off at a plain account without any possibly broken
> configuration, just .xinitrc and .xservers, neither it helped (just
> the final panel loop doesn't start - plain screen instead) - so it
> looks like generic issue to me.

I hate to pick on you, but I get a lot of such reports, and they do
_not_ help.  There is a whole page dedicated to what to send when
reporting a bug: http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/bugging.html.  In
addition to what's listed there, since you're seeing a crash, a gdb
backtrace of the segfault would be helpful.  Also, it would be good to
get your /etc/make.conf.

Joe