Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2000 20:27:17 -0800
From:      Qingyue Shirley Wang <qingyue@cs.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   BSD partition formatting

Hi all,

I'm implementing a general-purpose remote-install system and I'm running
into the following problem:

I'm loading a linux kernel into memory, mount root device via NFS, and now I
need to format local hard drive for a FreeBSD install (kernel and disk image
on NFS server).  Linux kernel has experimental write support for FreeBSD,
but doesn't provided utility to do the format.  Is there any mkfs utils
available runnable at user level?  If not, how difficult is it to port it to
linux?  Can someone point me to the location in the source and/or some
documentation on how it can be done?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Shirley