Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 08:17:32 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        "Andrey Deryugin" <aderyugin@stes.net>, "Rasputin" <rasputin@submonkey.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "/ was not properly dismounted" when using "shutdown -r now"

On Thursday 18 October 2001 07:35, Andrey Deryugin wrote:
> >As root, enter the command "halt".
> >
> >Watch the shutdown messages carefully, are there any errors complaining
> >about anything that could be related to this problem?
> >
> >When the system boots back up after a successful halt, do you see the
> >"/ was not properly dismounted" message?  Does it happen EVERY time?
>
> After halt, Not at all !
>
> Waiting ... for ... 'bufdaemon' to stop... stopped
> Waiting ... for ... 'bufdaemon' to stop... stopped
> Syncing disks... 7 1
> Done
>
> But 10 minutes later I enter 'shutdown -r now' and
>
> Syncing disks... 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
> 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
> (something like this, it's disappeared very quickly)
> and in process of boot I've got subj again.

Is that a panic message? If so, the way to really solve this is to install a debug
kernel and find out where the panic is coming from.
I find it odd that "shutdown -r" causes problem while "halt" does not.  I guess
a temporary workaround is to not use "shutdown -r" until you've figured out
what's wrong and fixed it.

> For example I uncomment the sleep 45 in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/squid.sh and
> made "shutdown -r now" - no problem again. But I keep all squid files in
> /usr.

Do you have a seperate partition for /var and /tmp?  squid could have files
open in either of those places.  Use "sockstat" or similar to see what squid
has open.  If changing the squid shutdown scipt stops the problem, you
should probably focus on that (for now) but it still isn't the real problem, the
system should make sure that files are unmounted before shutting down,
unless it's having a panic, which you'll know from the console messages.

Also, this really isn't appropriate for -stable unless you've confirmed that
it is a bug in FreeBSD and has not been resolved in the most recent version
in cvs.  I'm moving it to -questions, but feel free to move it back to -stable if
you find more details or (better yet) file a PR if you've isolated it better.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services