Date:      Mon, 06 Jan 1997 20:30:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      wb2oyc@cyberenet.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: Good buy or not?

Dave,
	Thanks for the reply....and I did buy it!  Its nice.  A real nice
surprise.  I called their 800 pre-sales help number just before I did go
for it, and they were very helpful.  It is a much better machine than I
expected it would be.  It is a model 4240.  I was concerned that it had
a cheapo monitor, but it actually has a very good one (better than my NEC)
as a matter of fact!  And its not the little, low profile type box either.
And it is standard thruout, including memory, etc.  This machine had an
original selling price of $1649; was discounted last fall to $1199, and I
got it for $698!  I think I did good; real good!

wb2oyc@cyberenet.net writes:
> 	I wonder if anyone on the list may have experience with Packard
> Bell machines, running FreeBSD?  The reason for the question is, a local
> store is selling excess stock that didn't sell during the holiday season
> at a price that is very, very, tempting.  Actually, the price is only a
> little more than the cost of a decent motherboard, and it is for a
> complete system, including monitor, 4X CD-ROM, etc.  The processor is a
> 75Mhz Pentium.  I don't know the whole story of the Pentium line, but
> would it be reasonable to assume that the cpu could be readily upgraded?
> Thats a detail that might depend entirely on the capability of the board
> in the machine, and I know little about PB, other than the adverse stories
> of the recent past.  Are they still using "refurbished" stuff and selling
> it as new?  Do their machines use standard memory components, so they
> could be easily upgraded with parts from other vendors, etc?  They don't
> mention the vendor, but the machine includes an video accelerator type of
> card, and the machine is billed as a "multimedia home PC".  The monitor is
> one of those goofy looking things with speakers glued to its sides.  It is
> a model 4240.  Anyone have any comments on its insides, and whether it
> might be as good a buy as it appears to be?

The system you describe is very much like the one I have, and I do run
FreeBSD on it.  As for upgrades, Intel is currently selling a 125 MHz
upgrade for 75 MHz Pentiums.
#
# Yep, that was my goal.  To get to a Pentium machine, that I could
# readily upgrade the cpu by plugging one in!  I couldn't get 2.1.5 to
# install due to the detect the CD problem, so I installed Debian, which
# works flawlessly, including the CD!
#
As for components, I've had no problems installing 4 MB and 8 MB
SIMMs, and I also installed a USRobotics 28.8 Kbps internal modem, no
problem.
#
# Yes, I did buy 8MB additional memory, but haven't installed it yet.
# I don't want to break the seal on the back of the box to put it in.
# I decided to wait until I get the chance to grab a cpu upgrade chip
# and then I'll go the memory at that same time.
#
# Oh, it came with a 14.4K modem/fax card also.  It works fine.  I used it
# under the installed Win 95 last nite.
#
My machine has a Cirrus Logic GD5434 graphics chip, and it seems fine,
though I don't have much to compare it to.  And yes, I have the
monitor with the goofy speakers.  You wouldn't *HAVE* to use those
speakers, though.
#
# Is yours the same model; 4240?  I haven't put the speakers on and
# probably won't actually.  I'm not into the audio stuff, so have no need
# for it really.  This one also has the same CL chipset.  XFree86 supports
# it nicely.
#
> 	My current machine is an old 486 box, and I need space for an

No opinion there--I'm pretty much a novice in the PC game.
#
# Well, I appreciate your candor.  Sure beats the hell out of the rhetoric
# I've heard elsewhere.... :)  Oh, I got a email response from them also.
# I had checked their Web site, and found this model was not current in
# their product lineup.  So I sent a query.  And they answered today.
# Plus their 800 number help line was very useful to me too.  But, the
# girl there told me the disk interface was not EIDE!  Well, she was wrong
# as I found out; pleased to say!
#

I think I did good; real good!

Paul