Date:      Sat, 1 Feb 2020 19:46:14 +0100
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Peter_Rap=C4=8Dan?= <peter.rapcan@savba.sk>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I tell gptzfsboot NOT to analyze other disks (or specify which disks to analyze)?

Dear Andryi,

Thank you for your input. However:

- when putting the harddrives in a different PC, the gptzfsboot: error =
128 lba some_block_number changed into gptzfsboot: error 32 [if I =
remeber the number correctly] lba some_block_number
- the same disk(s) worked in the same system without errors previously =
(prior version of freeNAS with less disks of the same type) - I have not =
been able to revert to the errorless configuration though (I think I =
tried all versions of freeNAS I think I could have used and seen =
working, with the original number of the harddrives).

So I am reluctant believing the disk timeout would be the cause=E2=80=A6 =
Although the disks are kind of large [HGST HUH721212ALN600, 12TB] and =
the system is rather old (IBM x3200), and yes, the disk gave a problem =
ty my oldish MacPRO (macOS could see the disk only on fresh start but =
not on restart).... nevertheless I have specifically checked the disks =
worked OK in the IBM machine before ordering (more of) them and they did =
(initially).

There is no power-up-in-standby option/toggle in the BIOS :-(

Best,=20
Peter

> On 30 Jan 2020, at 18:14, Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>=20
> On 30/01/2020 16:42, Peter Rap=C4=8Dan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> Is there a way to tell gptzfsboot NOT to analyze other disks (or =
specify
>> which disks to analyze)? (My system is on PATA disk(s) while the data =
disks
>> are SATA, hence there is no use to probe the SATA disks to search for =
>> bootable system).
>>=20
>> I am asking this to get around the following problem (bug?) I =
encountered
>> (tried both freeBSD 12.1 and freeNAS [11.2-U4 though 11.3-RC2]): When
>> booting, I get "gptzfsboot: error 128 lba some_block_number" errors =
in the
>> phase when gptzfsboot is probing my data HDDs (on which there is no
>> bootloader, nor system, the drives can be even empty, with or without =
>> partition table). The system boots eventually but the boot takes cca =
N x 7
>> minutes, where N is the number of data disks gptzfsboot is trying to =
analyze
>> (there are several gptzfsboot: error 128 lba some_block_number lines =
per disk
>> and each takes some time to appear).
>>=20
>> Note: installer CD boots the installer system just fine. Also, once =
the
>> system is installed, and the system has booted from HDD (this takes =
~30
>> minutes with multiple  gptzfsboot: error 128 lba some_block_number =
for each
>> disk) the system works just fine, including the very same data disks =
that
>> "produce" the errors.
>>=20
>> Anyway, should this be reported as a bug?
>>=20
>> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>=20
>=20
> FWIW, error 128 is likely "Disk timeout (failed to respond)" according =
to this
> resource: http://www.bioscentral.com/misc/biosint13.htm =
<http://www.bioscentral.com/misc/biosint13.htm>;
> That may explain why the boot takes so long.
> Could it be that something like power-up-in-standby is configured for =
SATA disks?