Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 2019 19:29:18 +0100
From:      Bob Eager <rde@tavi.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cleaning up pkg-message

On Sat, 8 Jun 2019 12:16:05 -0600
Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org> wrote:

> I want to get some stakeholder input on our pkg-message files. I think
> we need to have a clear policy about what does and doesn't belong in
> them, and I'd like to get your input.

I agree.

I recently noticed that one of my ports had been modified by the
previous committer. I had a pkg-message which was short and contained
concise, minimal information. I also has a README file, installed
in /usr/local/share/doc/... if the DOCS option was selected.

The committer folded the README file into pkg-message, and I disagree
with this:

1) It added far too much bulk to pkg-message.

2) It meant that an end user (without access to the ports tree) didn't
have an immediate way to see the README contents.

3) The committer tacked the README file onto pkg-message without
noticing that there was a %%DOCSDIR%% to be expanded, so that is how it
appears in pkg-message.