Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 19:28:05 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org (Michael Lucas)
Cc:        dcs@newsguy.com (Daniel C. Sobral), mbendiks@eunet.no (Marius Bendiksen), freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Subject:   Re: IBM Thinkpad suspending to 165 (was Re: Partition (Slice) tables)

> > I'd like confirmation first, but I'm sure feeling like raising as much
> > hell as possible.
>
> I definitely *need* to know the BIOS version or ThinkPad model version
> that exhibits this behavior, confirmed by two different folks, before
> putting out the "IBM hates BSD" article.
>
> When we have confirmation, it would be a good idea to let
> advocacy@freebsd in on it.  They're pretty good at raising hell when
> warranted.
>
> This warrants not merely raising hell, but breaking out the black
> candles, heavy robes, and sacrifical goat at some point.  (Isn't there
> a full moon during BSDcon?)  You can't tell me that IBM didn't know
> that FFS uses 165.

The place this has been reported is with a ThinkPad A320, in
a "dangerously dedicated" mode, without a DOS partititon table,
and without a "suspend to disk" partitition.  You can get the
details from the advocacy list archives.

In general, the "suspend to disk" function apparently looks for
the first non-DOS, non-Extended, non-Linux partition, and will
stomp its suspend image there.

So the upshot is "if you do something other than an industry
standard DOS Partitition table on a ThinkPad A320, BIOS version
indeterminate, AND you fail to reserve space for the ``suspend
to disk'' function prior to the FreeBSD partitition, then it will
happily stomp the FreeBSD partitition".

Or in simpler terms, "What part of ``_dangerously_ dedicated''
did you not understand?".

> Is there a master list of file system types anywhere?

There are several.  FreeBSD is on most of them.  Probably, Linux
used to have the same problem, until they hacked their BIOS to
recognize both DOS and Linux, instead of just DOS (and knowing
IBM, OS/2).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---