Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 1997 19:37:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   X still broken?

Today was the day that I would finally get to test out a lot of
changes to the networking code that I had planned.  However, when I
rebooted my machine, I found that X is still utterly broken.  I don't
think that my changes are to blame, since they are not actually
functional, and in any case the rest of the machine appears to work
Just Fine(tm).  The symptom is very simple: any attempt to start the X
server, whether through xdm or startx, puts the system in an infinite
loop where the server starts, and then immediately shuts down and
restarts, all the while locking up the keyboard so that one can't log
in to kill it.

Has anyone else seen these symptoms?

FYI, here's what the network code update does:

- pr_usrreq() is dead, gone, and buried.
- those requests that might block or need user credentials are passed
a process structure
- SS_PRIV is DG&B.
- the code in soo_select that knows about sockets is split out into a
separate routine called soselect
- sosend, soreceive, and soselect are never called directly, but only
through the protocol, thus enabling shortcutting

Once I finally manage to unload this batch of work, the next steps
involve:

- Getting rid of the places where mbufs are used to pass sockaddrs.
- Writing a shortcut UDP implementation.
- Doing some performance testing to demonstrate the difference.

-GAWollman