Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 2004 04:31:26 -0600
From:      Anthony Philipp <philipp1@lupin.angrypanda.net>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports index failure

Hello, here is the error I got:

Updating the ports index ... Generating INDEX.tmp - please wait..octave-forge-2004.11.16: "/usr/ports/sysutil/coreutils" non-existent -- dependency list incomplete
===> math/octave-forge failed
*** Error code 1
1 error

Before reporting this error, verify that you are running a supported
version of FreeBSD (see http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/) and that you
have a complete and up-to-date ports collection.  (INDEX builds are
not supported with partial or out-of-date ports collections -- in
particular, if you are using cvsup, you must cvsup the "ports-all"
collection, and have no "refuse" files.)  If that is the case, then
report the failure to ports@FreeBSD.org together with relevant
details of your ports configuration (including FreeBSD version,
your architecture, your environment, and your /etc/make.conf
settings, especially compiler flags and WITH/WITHOUT settings).

Note: the latest pre-generated version of INDEX may be fetched
automatically with "make fetchindex".

*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports.
failed to generate INDEX!
portsdb: index generation error

uname -a
FreeBSD lupin.angrypanda.net 5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #0: Fri Nov  5 04:19:18 UTC 2004     root@harlow.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

I also patched the ftp vuln. using patch.

my make.conf:

# -- use.perl generated deltas -- #
# Created: Sun Nov  7 23:24:42 2004
# Setting to use base perl from ports:
PERL_VER=5.8.5
PERL_VERSION=5.8.5
PERL_ARCH=mach
NOPERL=yo
NO_PERL=yo
NO_PERL_WRAPPER=yo

my cvsup file:

*default host=cvsup17.us.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
*default tag=RELENG_5_3
src-all
ports-all tag=.
doc-all tag=.

and when I did:
make fetchindex
make: don't know how to make fetchindex. Stop

Also I did update my ports. The only thing I did was patch the fetch vuln. Inbetween last night and tonight. I do not know whether this has any effect.
Thanks for your help.
Anthony.