Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 1995 11:15:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        phk@freefall.cdrom.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        roberto@blaise.ibp.fr, peter@haywire.dialix.com, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Version numbers of the different branches?

> > > How about making it either "2.2-BUILT-xxxxxx" or "2.X-BUILT-xxxxx" or
> > > even "2.X-CURRENT-xxxxxx".
> > >

> > We should revert to something like it was before e.g. 2.2-Development.
> > Putting the build date is not really informative because it gives
> > no insight about the date of the files themselves...
> >

> You can tell that the files are older than a particular date, that
> is very useful.
>
> ("BUILT-950703" ?  Hey, He hasn't got the "ls -s panic" patch that
> got comitted on july 5th !)

That may be true, but you surely can not say that he has all patches
applied up to 950703 by that string, as he may have built it from
950301 sources...

Any way I would like to have this small bit of confusing mess cleaned
up and propose the following changes based on my understanding of
why things are the way they are.  The release folks wanted the SNAP
shots to go out with a reasonable date in the snap shot that was
done automagically is my understanding of the sole reason this was
_really_ ever added.

I propose that the release Makefile be modified to _require_ either
a RELEASE=value or SNAP=value that is used in constructing a string
of the form ``X.Y-RELEASE-`date`'' or ``X.Y-SNAP-`date`''.

Without the pass in override the string should be ``X.Y-DEVELOPEMENT'',
no date as the date of the build here is pretty darn meaningless.
Ie, this applies when building from /usr/src/Makefile and not /usr/src-
/release/Makefile.

The value X.Y will be set to 2.0.6, 2.1, and 2.2 in the respective
branches of the CVS tree (too late to set a 2.0.5 one :-().

Comments?