Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 11:06:17 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2questions

Alfred Perlstein wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
 > [...]
 > > On the other hand using FreeBSD 3.3 on another box (Compaq Desktop, AMD
 > > K6-333, 80MBRAM; 4GB, Voodoo3 PCI 2000) I ran top and the SIZE of XF86_SVGA
 > > goes to 54MB and RSIZE the same.
 > > Why ?
 >
 > I don't know, this is the FreeBSD Project's help mailing list, not
 > the XFree86 help mailing lists, you may want to check over at
 > http://www.xfree86.org for answers to that and other X server
 > questions.  All I can really say is the an X server is a complicated
 > program that needs a lot of supporting code to do its job, hence the
 > large footprint.
 >
 >   450 bright     2   0 42328K 40088K select 1   1:07  0.00%  0.00% Xaccel
 >
 > *shrug*

This is the X server from a Solaris box (Creator3D graphics):
11596 root       1  59    0  130M   40M sleep   0:23  2.71% Xsun

The X server maps the framebuffer several times with different
alignments into its process memory space, and all of that is
accounted for the process size, of course.  It only occupies a
small fraction of that as physical RAM, so there is no need to
worry.  I guess that XFree86 does similar things, depending on
the graphics hardware.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)